Jun 30, 2020

Tuesday 4

This week, let's talk about the Fourth of July...

1. Do you think the 4th is an important holiday? Why, why not?
It's America's birthday, so heck yeah it's important. It's important that we take the day to appreciate the freedoms and privileges we have as Americans, and also to remember our forefathers whose blood, sweat, and tears went into bringing this nation into being.
2. How do you celebrate? If you're not American, do you celebrate your nation's national holiday? For years, it was my family's custom to celebrate the 4th at my aunt's house. She and my uncle had a pool, so we'd swim all day, gorge on delicious food, play cards, and then watch the fireworks in the street in front of their house (they had a great view). Now that my aunt and uncle have passed away, and some of my relatives are no longer on speaking terms, there is no big celebration. To be honest, I no longer do anything special to mark the occasion. I don't even attend the local fireworks show.
3. In the time of Laura Ingalls Wilder, all Americans read the Declaration of Independence every year on the 4th and lemonade was a big treat for the town picnic. Do you read the Declaration of Independence? Or your nation's important papers? How about lemonade? Are you a fan? No, I can't say I read the Declaration of Independence (and I was a History major. Go figure!) As for lemonade, I LOVE it, but I haven't had it in years. Too much sugar.
4. Picnic, eat inside the house, or eat out for the 4th? I'll probably just grill a burger and then eat inside. Too many bugs outside, getting up in my face and driving me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment