Jun 15, 2020

Birdie Bébés*

A few weeks ago, I discovered this darling bird nest on the top shelf of an old metal bookshelf I have in the corner of my garage. When I saw the lone egg, off white speckled with brown, I knew immediately that it wasn't a robin nesting there. I periodically checked the nest over the next few days and noticed that 4 more eggs had been laid.

Judging by the appearance of the eggs, several of my Facebook friends thought that it could be a migrating barn swallow, but I wasn't convinced because the nest didn't look anything like the barn swallow nests I found on ornithology websites. Once I finally saw mama bird in the nest, on about day 8, it became clear: she was a house sparrow! Because I have several household projects going on that require tools from the garage, I've tried to get her acclimated to me coming and going in the hopes that she won't attack me. She hasn't yet <fingers crossed>


Here's a short video of the hatchlings. Aren't they the cutest?

*Thanks to Moira Rose on Schitt's Creek, I will forever pronounce babies as bébés😁

No comments:

Post a Comment