Jun 25, 2020

Thursday 13: 13 Favorite Rides At Disney World

You can play along here.

Had it not been for COVID-19, and then a broken leg, my mom and I would've been vacationing this week at our home away from home, Walt Disney World. For this week's thirteen, I figured if I can't be at Disney in person, then I'll bring the Disney magic to me. Here is a list of my favorite, not to be missed attractions. Click on the ride name for a video.

  1. The Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios): I love everything about ToT- the Twilight Zone theme, the decrepit hotel, the creepy queue through the boiler room, and the free fall drops in the dark at the ride's conclusion. Did you know that the Tower's computer randomly selects a drop sequence from a set of 4 different presets? All 4 include at least one full drop from the top to the bottom of the elevator shaft. Depending on the elevator shaft or the drop profile you get, your elevator might stop at a scene along the way- lightning, a blue ghost, or the original elevator guests. Another interesting fact? Some props from the original Twilight Zone series can be spotted if you look hard enough. The Mystic Seer from the William Shatner episode "Nick of Time" is in on the shelf in the pre-queue area, and Willie from "The Dummy" episode is in the storage area before you disembark the ride vehicle.
  2. Splash Mountain (Magic Kingdom): Have a "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" good time on this thrilling log flume attraction inspired by the movie Song of the South. Follow Br'er Rabbit as he searches for his "laughing place" and avoids Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox along the way. My favorite part of the ride? The 5-story drop at the end. Warning: you will get wet! As of today, it has been reported that Splash Mountain will be refurbished in the near future with a new theme- Princess and The Frog. I still don't know how I feel about that.
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean (Magic Kingdom):  Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me! Set sail in a weathered barge and travel back to the 17th century when rowdy rogues and ruthless rapscallions ransacked Caribbean seaport towns. Keep an eye out for Captain Jack Sparrow, who pops up in a couple of scenes. It sounds weird, but my favorite part of PotC is the smell of the water! And I adore the queue music as well.
  4. Spaceship Earth (Epcot): Travel through time and explore the remarkable history of human communication from the Stone Age to the computer age. AKA "The Golf Ball".
  5. Test Track (Epcot)- Design a virtual concept car and put it to the test on this thrilling, high octane attraction.  Rev through tough terrain and obstacles along the winding circuit. Accelerate through straightaways, maneuver switchbacks through inclement weather, hug curves banked at 50 degree angles and scale hills up to 3 stories high. Reach speeds of up to 65 mph as you put your car through its paces. Hold on to your hats and sunglasses-they will fly off once the ride goes outdoors.
  6. The Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom)- Climb aboard a Doom Buggy for a grave journey through a labyrinth of haunted chambers. Beware of hitchhikers- phantom pranksters may follow you home! No matter how many times I've been through the Haunted Mansion, I'm still impressed by the ballroom scene. I know how the Imagineers achieved the effect, but it never ceases to amaze me. Oh, and be sure to say hi to Little Leota on your way out.
  7. Soarin' (Epcot)- Take flight on a breezy, airborne adventure as you hang glide above breathtaking wonders of the world, such as the Taj Mahal and Iguazu Falls.
  8. Dinosaur (Animal Kingdom): Travel back in time on a perilous prehistoric race to rescue a dinosaur- before a meteor strikes. You might want to skip this one if you're sensitive to loud noises and don't like being jerked around.
  9. Kali River Rapids (Animal Kingdom): Set out on a thrilling whitewater adventure through a lush jungle in the heart of Asia. Just be prepared- you WILL get wet. Doesn't matter where you sit in the raft.
  10. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom): Race through a haunted gold mine aboard a speeding train on this coaster-like ride.
  11. Expedition Everest (Animal Kingdom): Race through icy Himalayan peaks aboard a speeding train while avoiding the clutches of the mythic Yeti. I'm not a big coaster fan, but there's something about Everest that I love. I don't even mind the part where the train goes backward.
  12. Carousel of Progress (Magic Kingdom): Not a ride per se, but a charming trip through the 20th century showcasing the marvels of progress and the evolution of technology.
  13. Star Tours (Hollywood Studios): Make the jump to hyperspace on a thrilling 3D space flight to legendary destinations from the Star Wars saga. If you're prone to motion sickness, you might want to sit this one out.
I'm sure my list will change in the future once I have the opportunity to experience rides such as The Seven Dwarves Mine Train, The Rise of the Resistance, Toy Story Mania, Slinky Dog Dash, Flight of Passage, and the Navi River Journey. Four of those six rides were open during my last trip 2 years ago, but the queues were 2-3 hours long. That's called a no thanks.

*You may have noticed that Space Mountain and Rock N Roller Coaster featuring Aerosmith are no where to be found. I say nay nay to rollercoasters that are in the dark. I have to see what's coming track wise in order to tolerate the ride.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in my 60s and have yet to experience Disneyland or Disney World. Friends tell me I'd love it, and from reading your favorite rides, I definitely would. Something for me to think about doing once we're back to a healthy state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been once. The only ride I can remember is "It's a small world."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been once and that was in 1993. I think some of the things you mention weren't even around then!

    ReplyDelete