Jun 27, 2020

Saturday 9: Beautiful People

Play along here.

Saturday 9: Beautiful People (2019)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song is about the fantasy of being one of the "beautiful people," but how hollow the reality can be. Do you often find yourself envying others for what they have? Yes, unfortunately. I try not to let the green eyed monster take over, but I don't always succeed. It's difficult not to feel envious of people on Facebook and Instagram who seem to have it all: looks, wealth, the perfect body, the perfect house, the fairytale relationship, a huge circle of friends, etcI'm logical enough to realize that things are not always as they appear, and that people only want to show what's beautiful and good in their lives, but there are times when I'm feeling so down on myself, I fall for the "smoke and mirrors" act.  


2) Ed Sheeran sings that he and his girl don't fit in well because they're "just ourselves." Who among your close friends do you find it easiest to be "just yourself?" My best friends, Kelly and Jen. They love and accept me for who I am, even when I'm at my most needy, anxious, annoying, and pessimistic.



3) The lyrics refer to Hummers and Lamborghinis. What's your dream ride? I'm a woman with simple tastes. I'd love to have a Volkswagen Beetle or VW bus. What can I say- I'm a hippie at heart!


4) Ed believes in giving back. One cause he supports is No Cold Homes, which helps ensure that everyone in the English city of Bristol has the fuel needed to keep their homes safe and comfortable. Here in the United States, he's raised funds for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Is there a cause that's near and dear to your heart? The ASPCA. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (they treated my late cousin, Lori, when she was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 10). My local animal shelter (I donate money, food, and supplies whenever I can).


5) Ed's arms are covered in tattoos, so clearly he doesn't suffer from trypanophobia, or a fear of needles. How about you? Do you look away when the doctor gives you a shot? Nope, no fear of needles. I always have to look when I'm getting blood drawn or getting a shot. It hurts more if I don't look.


6) One of Ed's tattoos is a bottle of Heinz Ketchup. What condiments would we find if we peeked into your refrigerator this morning? Ketchup. Light mayonnaise. Salad dressings.  Soy sauce. Barbecue sauce. Worcestershire sauce. Lemon juice.



7) Ed is a natural redhead, a trait he shares with only 2% of the population. Does red hair run in your family? <raising hand> Redhead here! Red hair runs in my dad's family. Two of my great-grandparents, an uncle, and a handful of cousins were/are natural gingers.  Must be our Scots-Irish and Scandinavian DNA. As for my mom's side? A second cousin and I are the only ones "kissed by fire". My mom doesn't know who her biological father was, so I have no idea if there is another redheaded branch of my family tree.


8)  In 2019, when this song was released, the FDA recommended the approval of a drug for treating peanut allergies in children. Do you suffer from any food allergies, or sensitivities? Not that I'm aware of.


9) Random question: What of these do you think is the biggest contributing factor to success -- hard work, luck or talent? I think a mix of all 3, but I tend to put luck on the top of the list. There are so many hard working people who never get anywhere, no matter how hard they try. Same goes for talent. How many talented people are there who have worked hard to share their gifts with the world, but weren't successful because they weren't in the right place at the right time?

4 comments:

  1. I think you're answer to #9 is brilliant (because it sounds like mine).

    I'm also glad you mentioned St. Jude. They have done so much good for so long that I think maybe we take them for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. She passed away in 1993 at the age of 30. The treatment she received at St.Jude added extra years to her life, for which my family was grateful.

    ReplyDelete