Jul 18, 2020

Saturday 9: Flipper

Play along here.

Flipper (1964)

  1. Flipper ran for three seasons, from 1964 to 1967. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan? I'm familiar with the show and its catchy theme song, but I can't really call myself a fan. I did, however, enjoy the 1996 film version, starring Elijah Wood and Paul Hogan.
  2. Brothers Sandy and Bud consider a bottle-nosed dolphin named Flipper their pet. Do you currently share your home with any animals? Yes, I share my home with my eight year old pug mix, Backes. In 5-6 weeks, we'll welcome two adorable kittens, whom I've named Emmet and Gideon.
  3. Bud and Sandy's dad was Chief Warden Porter Ricks of the fictional Coral Key Marine Preserve. In reality, the show was filmed in Miami and Key Biscayne. When were you last in the ocean? What ocean was it? I've never been in an ocean. I don't swim in any water that hasn't been treated with chlorine. Ick.
  4. There was no single "Flipper". In close-ups, the role was played by a dolphin named Susie. While Susie was good at interacting with people, she had trouble with stunts, and sometimes a male dolphin named Clown was brought in for action sequences. Do you consider yourself more social like Susie? Or are you more athletic like clown? Neither. I'm an anti-social couch potato.
  5. Without looking it up, do you know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise? Does it have something to do with a difference in the shape of their snouts, or is it a difference in their dorsal fins?
  6. Flipper wasn't just a tv pet. He was an industry! During the show's run, Flipper comic books, coloring books, and puzzles were very popular. As an adult, do you entertain yourself by reading comics, coloring, or completing jigsaw puzzles? The only comics I read are the daily strips in the newspaper. I don't have the patience for jigsaw puzzles, so the puzzles I keep busy with are all word based: the word jumble, cryptoquotes, and crosswords.
  7. The Flipper lunchbox was also a big seller. It came with a Thermos topped with a red cup.  Do you own a Thermos? No, can't say I do.
  8. In 1964, when Flipper premiered, it was up against The Outer Limits and The Jackie Gleason Show. If those were your only viewing choices, would you watch the family show about the dolphin, the sci-fi anthology show, or the comedy-variety show? (Or would you rather flip through a magazine?) I've heard The Outer Limits was a knock off version of The Twilight Zone, which I love, so I would choose the sci-fi anthology show.
  9. Random question: Which would you be more comfortable explaining: how a car engine works, the current IRS tax brackets, or the rules of baseball? I know diddly squat about the first two options, so rules of baseball it is.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Flipper! And now I am singing the song in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your couch potato answer. I should have said that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know there was a Flipper remake! I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete