Jul 17, 2020

Brain Droppings, Part Three

Bits and pieces of randomness...

  1. My dad turned 77 on Tuesday, July 14th. On the Saturday before his birthday, the family got together to celebrate. My sister and her husband just had a pool installed, so we spent the afternoon swimming, soaking up the sun, and sipping the kick ass piƱa coladas my stepmother made. That evening, after a meal of barbecue pulled pork, corn casserole, baked beans, fried zucchini, and jello poke cake, we played a few rounds of Codenames. It was so much fun!
  2. My local YWCA re-opened after the July 4th holiday, so my best friend Kelly and I started back up with our twice weekly water aerobics class. I'm hoping that the extra activity will help jump start my metabolism, as I'm currently dealing with my first weight loss plateau. It's frustrating as hell.
  3. I bought new living room furniture. The new couch and armchair are scheduled to be delivered on July 20th, so I'm now faced with the conundrum of how to get the old couch moved out of the house and disposed of. The store saleslady gave me a list of charitable organizations that offer free pickup of furniture donations, but every single one I called turned me down when I mentioned there was slight damage on one of the couch's arms. Are you freaking kidding me?!?! My brother said he could help me this weekend, but I don't see how the two of us are going to be able to move it without giving ourselves hernias in the process. We might have to take it apart first to get it out the door. Stay tuned.

  4. My pug Backes had an appointment at the vet office to get his nails trimmed and I was horrified to learn that one of his back dew claws had become ingrown and infected. I had seen him chewing that paw incessantly, but just assumed it was his allergies making him uncomfortable. No wonder his Apoquel wasn't bringing him relief...poor baby! He's doing much better now that the claw has been trimmed and he's taking an antibiotic. I'm such a bad doggie mamašŸ˜¢
  5. I wasn't going to announce this until they were home with me, but I can't wait any longer! Meet my new kittens, Emmet and Gideon. They were born June 25, so it will be late August or early September before they’re fully weaned and ready to leave their mama. I've never had more than one cat at a time...any experienced multiple cat moms or dads out there who are willing to share tips or advice with me?

1 comment:

  1. A very happy (belated) birthday to you Dad, Julie!

    And congrats on the addition of your two furry feline babies! Not sure what advice I can offer on owning two cats at the same time other than to love and appreciate each of them for what they are. I used to have Ginger and Jade, and they sure has distinctive personalities. I compared them to Lennon and McCartney. Jade could be somewhat aloof, stoic and more on the serious side (Lennon) while Ginger more happy-go-lucky and easy-going (McCartney). But I loved and admired them equally. May you have many fun years ahead with them both!

    ReplyDelete