Jul 7, 2020

Hamilton

Because there was nothing exciting happening on the 4th of July, I decided to check out Hamilton on Disney + to see what all the fuss was about (also...'MURRICA!). As with anything in pop culture that's touted to be the "in" thing, I was feeling a little bit skeptical that it would be as fantastic as critics and theater fans had made it out to be. As a huge history buff, I knew that I would find the historical aspects of the Hamilton story interesting, but I admit I'm not crazy about musicals in general*, especially musicals that feature rap music. I honestly didn't think I would like it all that much.

Boy, was I wrong. I freaking LOVED it!

I'm glad that we (meaning myself, my mom, my 92 year old Nonna, and my best friend Kelly) had the closed captioning on during the entire performance. Made it so much easier to follow the plot because the actors rap so damn fast. Plus, my dog was barking every time some ass hat in the neighborhood decided to light firecrackers, so it was nice to not have to pause the show or rewind it to see/hear something we might've missed.

The music was wonderful, with "The Ten Duel Commandments", "What'd I Miss", and "You'll Be Back" taking the top spots as my favorite numbers. I dare you not to sing along with the catchy "da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da" chorus of the latter, performed by the scene stealing King George III. 

Of course, I knew the outcome of his duel with Aaron Burr, but I was not prepared for the emotional scenes involving his infidelity to his wife Eliza, and then the death of his son Philip. I admit I cried a little. Okay, a lot.

Congratulations, Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the talented cast, you've turned me into a Broadway musical fan after all! What the hell is happening to me?😆

*I did enjoy The Book of Mormon




No comments:

Post a Comment