Jun 20, 2011

Monday Movie Meme

This week's topic is all about movies that leave you thoroughly depressed after viewing.

I can think of 2 movies that left me emotionally scarred and wanting to swallow a bottle of Zoloft . The first, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, is the story of the friendship between the 8 year old son of a concentration camp commandant and a Jewish boy on the other side of the fence. My nephew Garett, 9 years old at the time, had wanted to order this movie on pay-per-view (he's interested in all things World War 2), but I told him that I wanted to watch it first to make sure it was age appropriate. Of course, I knew that any movie featuring Nazis and concentration camps wasn't going to be fun, games, and happy endings, but the final minutes of Pajamas damn near made me physically ill. It made my heart ache on so many levels. As you can probably guess, Garett didn't get to watch it.

Keeping with the Nazi and concentration camp theme, another movie I never want to see again is Schindler's List. The brutality and utter disregard for human life is mankind at its' very worst.

2 comments:

  1. I commend your young nephew for taking interest in real history. And you for previewing first. I have not seen this yet or read the book but I would like to because of the unique angle to a depressing situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, WT: I have yet to see "Pajamas" but I have no doubts it must be as powerful and haunting as "Schindler's List". Such atrocities.....words fail me. As Bumbles said, kudos to Garett for his interest and to you for policing it.

    ReplyDelete