Jul 11, 2011

Monday Movie Meme: We're Having A Heat Wave

This week's movie topic is all about Heat. Share on your blog movies containing a heat wave or extreme summer heat that was present in but not necessarily the focus of the film.

The War (1994)- Set in Juliette, Mississippi during the summer of 1970, The War is the story of a shell shocked Vietnam War vet, Stephen Simmons (Kevin Costner), dealing with personal and employment issues while his children, Stu and Lidia (the wonderful Elijah Wood and Lexi Randall), fight a war of a different kind against a family of bullies (the Lipnickis). Putting your anger aside ("Sometimes all it takes is a split second to do something you regret the whole rest of your life") , forgiving those who wrong you, compromising for the benefit of the community, and moving forward with the struggle for hope with joy in your heart are just a few of the life lessons offered in this wonderfully moving film.

Just a word of caution: if you decide to watch TheWar, don't forget the Kleenex. Elijah Wood and the littlest Lipnicki boy will make you cry. Guaranteed.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this movie "The War" before, but I'll have to check it out. It sounds rather intriguing - - and while I wouldn't say that Kevin Costner is my all-time favourite actor, I am a big fan of several movies that he's starred in over the years (Dances With Wolves, Field Of Dreams, The Untouchables.....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a Kevin Costner fan myself, but he's excellent in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this post I immediately thought of one of my favorite Paul Newman movies The Long Hot Summer. I didn't remember heat being much of a factor in the story though, so I watched it again last night. Seems like all they talk about is fire/heat/fevers/etc. Guess I wasn't really paying attention the last 13824708 times I watched it!

    ReplyDelete