Jul 18, 2011

Monday Movie Meme: Favorite Film To Date

This week's topic is all about favorites. Share on your blog your favorite YTD movie - not necessarily one released this year, just a new-to-you film viewed this year. You can play along here.

No disrespect to The King's Speech, The Fighter, or Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, but my favorite movie thus far in 2011 is the hilarious Bridesmaids.
Bridesmaids is the story of Annie (Kristen Wiig), a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (including Rose Byrne as "Helen" and Melissa McCarthy as "Megan") on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. A wild ride that includes an unfortunate case of food poisoning at an upscale bridal salon, a ruined bachelorette trip to Las Vegas, and an intense competition between Annie and Helen, not only for control of the festivities, but also for the title of Lillian's "best friend".

I know that Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph are the "stars" of the film, but as funny as they both are, they tend to be overshadowed any time they have to share screen time with the fantastic Melissa McCarthy
. She was an absolute laugh riot! Loved her. Also great is Irish actor Chris O'Dowd, who plays Wiig's love interest. When he first appeared, I knew I had seen him somewhere before, but just couldn't place him. After wracking my brain for half the movie, it finally hit me: he was Simple Simon in "Pirate Radio" and Gen. Edward Edwardian in "Gulliver's Travels".

4 comments:

  1. I loved Chris O'Dowd too but knew I hadn't seen him in anything before. I am definitely looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris O'Dowd was adorable in this movie, and Jon Hamm seemed to relish playing his opposite number. These men were both so well cast! But my favorite part was the very end, the "Hold On" singalong. It was delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing but great reviews for this movie, and Wendy especially has expressed a desire to me to go and see it. I must admit that the trailer does indeed look quite humourous! Glad you enjoyed the flick, WT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it when it came out ... it's hilarious! I thought the cop was such a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete