May 2, 2011

Monday Movie Meme

This week's movie topic is all about Flight...

Flight is something humans have been fascinated with for a long time. The movies are filled with flying dreams and realities. Share on your blog films focused on flight, things that fly or become airborne.

My favorite flight themed movie? Airport '77. Art thieves hijack a 747, hit fog and crash into the ocean, trapping them and the passengers under 100 feet of water. Can they make it out in time?

I watched this movie religiously whenever it was on Cinevue (our late 70's predecessor to HBO) The special effects during the crash and rescue sequences are top notch (for that time, any way), and the acting is superb. How can you go wrong with Jack Lemmon, Olivia deHavilland , James Stewart, Christopher Lee, George Kennedy, Lee Grant, and Darren McGavin all in the same movie? To this day, I'm still traumatized by the scene where Christopher Lee dies during a rescue attempt and then floats, open-eyed, past the passengers watching out of the windows.

3 comments:

  1. I've actually never seen this movie, but based on your description, I'm more eager to see it now.

    As for my favourite flight movies, hmmm, I need to think about this. I'd probably have to go with "Diehard 2". Super action and suspense in that one. I also enjoyed "Airplane" back in the day, though I'm not certain I'd call it a "favourite". What was the one with Harrison Ford as the US President? "Air Force One", or something like that? That was a pretty decent flick, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie in ages.

    Ya gotta love "Airplane" ... and don't call me Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry- I loved Air Force One. Harrison Ford needs to be President :)

    Teena- Airplane! is a hoot. My fave character is that weird guy Johnny.

    ReplyDelete