Nov 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Recap

I only had to work Monday and Tuesday last week, so I devoted Wednesday to putting up the Christmas tree and decorating the house for the holidays. I had planned to deck out the kitchen in all things gingerbread people, but after looking at how much gingerbread crap I actually have, I vetoed the idea. I don't want to be saddled with putting it all back in storage after Christmas is over. Yeah, I'm lazy.

Mom and I spent Thanksgiving Day in Springfield with my brother Bart, my sister-in-law Dawn, my nephews Garett and Cameron, and Dawn's mother, Pat. Pat graciously invited us to her home for a wonderful meal of turkey (of course!), stuffing, corn, sweet potato casserole (our contribution), cranberry sauce, rolls, and blackberry pie. After eating, we just sat around and talked, and I spent time playing with Pat's new, 9 week old black and white kitten Patches.

Isn't he adorable? I wanted to take him home.

The rest of my Thanksgiving break was spent taking it easy. I started reading Stephen King's new novel (11/22/63), watched a couple of movies and some stuff I had on DVR, and cheered on the Blues as they beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2, the Calgary Flames 2-0, and the Columbus Blue Jackets 2-1I even managed to get a few Christmas gifts bought and/or ordered. Go me!

18 more work days til Christmas break.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, Christmas is coming too fast! I'm not prepared for it yet....but yum to gingerbread!....though I can't say I blame you for not putting up all those gingerbread men. It does indeed sound like a lot of work.

    Glad to know that you and your family had a wonderful and fulfilling Thanksgiving, WT! I'm not sure I have ever tried blackberry pie before. Do you prefer it to pumpkin pie?.....doesn't Patches look sweet!! I want that kitty! lol

    I've seen that new Stephen King novel on the store bookshelves up here. Having glanced at the front and back covers, am I assuming correctly that the book focusses on an alternate timeline in which JFK survives the assasination attempt? Sounds quite intriguing. You'll have to give me your review on the novel once you've finished reading it.

    The Blues are on a roll! Here's hoping it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the Christmas decorations. Set them out, put them away, it's almost as hideously repetitive as laundry.

    11/22/63 looks really good, and I'm not even much of a Stephen King fan. I've already got a huge stack of to-be-reads, though, so adding a 800+ page novel right now probably isn't a good idea lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry- The blackberry pies were for Bart. I hate blackberry anything. Mom made a pumpkin pie for me and we kept it at home. I've never met a pumpkin pie that I haven't liked :)

    Aubrey- I'm about halfway thru 11/22/63 and I'm really loving it. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you the other day, especially since I kept hearing "Oshie" from the announcers! - weatherbs

    ReplyDelete