Nov 22, 2011

Brain Droppings, Part Two

Bits and pieces of randomness...
  1. I had my baseline mammogram on Nov. 11. To my immense surprise (and relief), it was not at all uncomfortable or painful. The results? Everything is normal.
  2. The St.Louis Blues fired head coach Davis Payne on Nov. 7 and replaced him with Ken Hitchcock. I'll admit this took me (and many other Blues fans) by surprise; we thought the organization would give Payne, like Andy Murray before him, more time to get back on track. Guess they weren't playing around. So far under Hitchcock, the Blues are 4W-1L-2OT. Not too shabby. My brother Bart, best friend Kelly, and I traveled to St.Louis on Nov. 12 to see the Blues beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-0. My boy, TJ Oshie, scored a beautiful empty net goal in the second period. Kelly pointed out that he has scored a goal in every game we've attended in person. Coincidence? I think not.
  3. I'm totally addicted to The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. Hands down, two of the most graphic, downright bizarre shows in the history of television. I tried watching Walking Dead during the first season but, for some reason, just couldn't get into it. When it appeared on streaming Netflix, I decided to give it another shot and found myself hooked. I love the characters (well, not Shane because he's an ass), the suspense, the creepy zombies, and the plot twists. As for American Horror Story, I became intrigued after it was featured in Entertainment Weekly, so I caught the first three episodes on Xfinity On Demand and was blown away by what a mind freak it really is. It's hard to describe what's going on in the infamous "Murder House"- you just have to see it for yourself.
  4. I'm seriously considering going back to school next fall to earn a certificate in medical transcription. I'd like to have a reliable career back-up ready should I have to leave my current position as a special ed. teacher assistant, either due to layoffs or loss of benefits. If neither situation occurs (fingers crossed), I figure I can still use the certificate by doing medical transcription work part-time (ideally from home).

2 comments:

  1. I hate getting mammograms but it`s better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear everything is normal following your mammogram test, WT. It's great to have that peace of mind.

    Hopefully Payne will be given another chance at some point to prove his worth with another organization. In the meantime, Hitch so far is doing a wonderful job with the Blues. I think he will guide them into the post-season. And hopefully Oshie will continue having success, too!

    You know, I have yet to see either "The Walking Dead" or "American Horror Story", even though they are airing up here now. Wendy's not a big fan of horror so we end up watching other things on TV. But I believe she's downloaded a copy of the pilot of AHS for me, so I'll have to watch it during some "spare moments" time.

    Good for you, my friend, in considering your return to school. I think you are being very wise and prudent to provide yourself with a back-up plan to fall back on, should the need ever occur. And I know, given your smarts and determination, you'll have no problems in gaining that certificate. I wish you all the best in your efforts!

    ReplyDelete