Apr 20, 2011

My Great-Aunt Anna

Last Friday, my great-aunt Anna (pictured center between my mom and my Nonna) celebrated her 102nd birthday.

Yes, you read that right. Her 102nd birthday.

The staff at her nursing home held a small party in her honor. I think she deserved a freaking parade or at least a birthday shout out from Willard Scott.

She was born April 15, 1909, when William Howard Taft was President of the United States. The Titanic sunk on her third birthday (just to give you some perspective).

I can't even begin to imagine what life would be like at 102. To be honest, I hope I never find out. As much as I love being alive, I don't think I want to be around in 2071 (the year I'd reach Anna's milestone).

2 comments:

  1. A very Happy Birthday and many congratulations to your Nonna, WT! Wow, 102 - - that's quite an accomplishment! Did you and the family have a chance to visit her or talk with her for the occasion? We have some longevity in our family as well but we have yet to have anyone reach 102 (my great grandmother made it to 99).

    You know, I've often thought about stuff like that as well (whether or not I'd want to reach such a ripe old age). Usually I reason it this way - - if my quality of life was still pretty good (by that I mean if I still had relatively good health and some independence, with some physical mobility and especially my all mental faculties (such as they are!), and I had some friends or family around to keep me company from time to time), then I wouldn't mind reaching 102. But if it meant being a burden to others, or being lonely for most of the time, or not being able to function much either mentally or physically, then no, I wouldn't want to be around at that point. I guess it all boils down to quality of life versus quantity - - I want both, or neither! Do you feel somewhat the same way?

    Happy Easter, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She's lived through so much. Happy birthday!

    Hoppy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete