Aug 24, 2011

I Want Wednesday

I want the unsettling rumors that I'm hearing around my workplace to be just that...rumors. Several people in the school district's Support Staff union have heard that the powers-that-be might consider pink slipping all full time teacher assistants in the near future, and then hiring us back part-time so they won't have to give us health benefits. If that turns out to be the case, the district is going to lose a lot of hard working, dedicated professionals- me included. I absolutely love my job as a severe/profound special ed. classroom assistant, but I need a job that offers health insurance. It would break my heart if I had to leave my babies.

I know the school district is experiencing money woes, but how the hell is this going to benefit the kids? We've willingly taken a pay freeze over the last two years and this is how they might re-pay us? Teacher assistants have to have the education and credentials to be in accordance with No Child Left Behind statutes, so how can they think we're not an integral component in the educational system? Good luck finding qualified people who are willing to work for crap money and no benefits to fill vacated positions.

Any one against universal health care in this country can kiss my fat, white ass. You'd better hope you don't find yourself in this predicament some day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Julie, I do pray that the worst-case scenerio doesn't come to fruition. I can't believe the district is even contemplating such a thing. There must be better ways for them to recoup some funds - - I'd hate to think that all those dedicated teachers are being tossed aside like that. Disgraceful. I'm pulling for you on this, my friend. Please keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they are just rumours. Health insurance is so valuable.

    ReplyDelete